The Locust School was Built in
1854 from rock quarried on the
Ruffridge farm. The School was
in use every year from 1854 to
1960, or 106 years, an Iowa
record for continuous service.
Built in 1878, stopped being used
in October 2000 when a new 40
bed jail was built at the Law
The Bodensteiner House was gifted to the WCHS by Joe and Emily Bodensteiner, in 2016. A Bodensteiner Committee of WCHS has been established and plans are underway for renovation.
Due to the corona virus the Landers-Adams-Bodensteiner House will be closed to the public indefinitely! Staffers will be operating phones during office hours.
Updated information about current restoration projects located in menu under Facilities - Winneshiek County Heritage Center!
Locust School Announcement!
The Locust School Committee will not open the school regular weekend hours this summer. The plan is to give tours by appointment only, persons interested need to contact one of the committee members to arrange a time. Committee members are Paul Hexom - 563-382-5765 LaVonne Bjergum - 563-382-8274 Glenn Larson - 563-382-6092
Mission Statement: To protect, collect, preserve and promote the written, oral and tangible items of historical importance to Winneshiek County and to cooperate with other organizations to accomplish common goals. Office Locations: The main office is located in the Landers-Adams-Bodensteiner House at 302 S Mill St Decorah, IA. The historical archives are located at the Winneshiek County Heritage Center and at the Old County Jail building at 202 West Broadway St Decorah, IA.